John Moreno-Escobar is a successful social entrepreneur, community leader, education champion, and executive innovator. His passion is education equality, and access to post-secondary education.
John moved to New York City from Bogota Colombia in 2003. While in college, John established his first non-profit, whose main purpose was helping and supporting Latino immigrant students and their families in the process of preparing, applying, and paying for college. He has been around the country talking to students, teachers, parents, and stakeholders to find the best strategies and programs to better education in their communities.
John moved to Sunrise, Florida in 2016 where he has been a notable voice for access to affordable and quality education. He has led many initiatives to help hundreds of students in Broward to find the right post-secondary opportunity for them. John is currently the Executive Director of the YV Foundation, a not-for-profit organization that provides educational programs for middle and high school kids. This organization focuses on soft skills, hard skills and high-tech career opportunities.
He serves on multiple boards like:
● Member of the Parent / Community Involvement Task Force at Broward County Public Schools
● Advisory Council member, The Children Movement of Florida
● Member, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
● Board Member, Broward County Public Schools Advisory, National Academy Foundation
● President, PorColombia – Largest network of Colombian students and professionals in the US
● Chair of Education, Upward Leadership Program at the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
● Graduate from the Leadership Broward Program
● Graduate - City of Sunrise - Resident Leadership Academy
● Member, M.P.A. In Nonprofit / Nongovernmental Organizations Advisory Board - NOVA Southeastern University
● 2017 Fellow New Leaders Council at Broward, FL
● Former Member, Sawgrass Elementary School PTA
● Former Co-Chair Imagine Broward Council and Initiative of Broward Partnership for the Homelessness
● Former Co-Chair, Education Advisory Board, City of Sunrise
● Former Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) Board Member – Broward Metropolitan Planning Org, Representing the City of Sunrise
John holds a Masters's in Public Administration and a bachelor's in Public Affairs from City University of New York (CUNY) - Baruch College. He is the proud father of Luca Moreno-Ramos who attends public school in Sunrise and the husband of Jennifer Ramos.
This political focus provides an insight into the candidate's life and trajectory.
If you are reading this column and are interested in learning more about John, you can visit his website at www.jmeforschoolboard.com or email him directly at email@example.com